Wednesday 1 August 2012

Anais Nin...

...once said:
I am only responsible for my own heart.
 You offered yours up for the smashing, my darling. 
Only a fool would give out such a vital organ.

I feel like trust is the very fine line between protecting your heart and allowing yourself to fall for someone else.
My favourite blogs to read are ones where people are honest about their lives. I like to learn who people are and what is going on in their real lives. It can be easy to pretend to be someone else on the internet, and hard to show who you really are. In that interest, I am going to try my best to be honest about what is going on in my life.

I've walked this line very precariously for the past year or so, using it more as a rope than anything else. I met someone who I at first was very unsure of. He seemed very sincere, but I wasn't sure that I was attracted to him emotionally. After a while I realized I was, and began slipping over that line. I'm not always the most careful when it comes to my heart, and was maybe a little too quick to trust, because the minute things started going really well and became more serious, he panicked, and the rug was thusly pulled out from beneath me. I was shocked and hurt, having trusted someone else with such a delicate item (my heart) and had it hit straight over left field and out of the park. 

I moved on, but only a couple of months passed before he was darkening my door again.

Since that point, the pair of us have experimented with many different levels of relationship, and I have experimented with many different positions in relation to that line. Recently, I made a decision to take me away from the relationship geographically, and we both made the decision that we were not going to be able to make this work at this point in time. For me, I realized that I was so concerned with having to protect myself the second time around that I couldn't truly feel anything. 

I know right now I am scared to be hurt again, and so the idea of ever crossing the line is tough for me. But I do want to trust someone enough to do it. 

So where is the line? And what do you do with it? Do you find someone you can trust and cross it? How do you know when its safe?

Or maybe you don't cross it at all. Maybe you should walk it. So when do you know if you're standing right on it?


No comments:

Post a Comment